Sunday, 24 July 2016

Plastic Soldier Company Allied M5 Halftrack 1/72 Scale - WW2 - WIP

PSC make great kits and this was not exception, it was easy to build and comes with loads of bits to add to the model like stowage and crew etc.

A bit from Wikipedia:

The M5 Half-track (officially the Carrier, Personnel Half-track M5) was an American armoured personnel carrier in use during World War II. It was developed in 1942 when existing manufacturers of the M2 Half Track Car, and M3 Half-track could not keep up with production demand. The M5 was supplied to Allied nations (the British Commonwealth, France, and the Soviet Union) under the Lend-Lease.

The specifications of the M5 were almost identical to the specifications of the M3 Half-track. It was 20.8 feet (6.3 m) long, 7.3 feet (2.23 m) wide, 9 feet (2.74 m) high, and weighed 21,500 pounds (9.8 t). It had vertical volute springs for the tracks and semi-elliptical longitudinal leaf springs for the wheels. It was powered by a 142 hp (106 kW) White 160AX, 386 cubic inch (6,330 cc), 6-cylinder engine, with a compression ratio of 6.35:1. It had a fuel capacity of 60 US gallons (230 l), a range of 125 miles (201 km), and a speed of 42 miles per hour (68 km/h). It had constant mesh transmission, 6.5–13.5 mm (0.26–0.53 in) of armour, one 0.5 in (12.7 mm) M2 machine gun and two 0.3 in (7.6 mm) M1919 machine guns, and crew of three with up to ten passengers.

I primed the models in black followed by a spray of Army Painter 'British Tank'.

Next was a heavy wash of 60/40 brown /black wash.

I followed up with a dry brush with Russian Uniform and painted the base colours of the other details.


 I also painted the crew in GW paints namely Graveyard Earth for the uniform and Russian Uniform for the helmets followed by the wash of brown and black.

 Nearly done, so stay tuned.


Sunday, 17 July 2016

Badab War - Fire Angels - 40k

Continuing on with my Badab War project, I saw a very handy solution with re-purposing a Silver Skulls Marine I had painted up awhile ago. The colour scheme is very similar in that is is all silver with some different trim.

I cut off the skull and sanded the shoulder pad down. painted the pads silver ( see the Silver Skull post for the method) and the pad trim with Mephiston red then added a red ink for the gloss effect.

To complete the model quickly I did not try and replicate the Fire Angels emblem (cross) as this would be relatively straight forward to do by using some thin plasti-card, drawing the cross onto it and then cutting it out. At least that is the way I would do it.

Another good looking colour scheme and easy to paint. The pictures below look very cool indeed.


Sunday, 10 July 2016

Badab War - Astral and Tiger Claws


Now that I have the two miniatures completed I thought it would be good to show them together.



Sunday, 3 July 2016

Badab War - Tiger Claws - 40k

The obvious chapter to paint up next is the Tiger Claws!

I was using this picture as reference and started with a black primer followed by layer of watered down black paint.

I then painted the shoulder pad and legs with two thin coats of Shining Gold next I applied a heavy wash of a 60/40 black/brown mix

While I was painting the gold I was reading up on some of the background and realized that it should be orange not gold! maybe the name should have given it away..Tiger (black and orange) Claws.

I repainted the gold with a custom metallic orange I mixed up for my Chaos Reborn faction and followed with a heavy wash of a 60/40 black/brown mix followed by another drybrush with the orange. The plan for painting the legs was to stipple the orange and black to merge the join where the colours meet but that was abandoned in favour of a brush smudge.

The rest of the armour was painted with my custom mix of metallic black, also finished off the rest of the details, scrolls, pouches etc.

I used dried tea (redbush) leaves for the base to tie the model and base together. Not sure if that worked as well as imagined because the leaves are very orange.

Like the Astral Claws a very nice looking scheme if not better and also pretty easy to paint.


Sunday, 26 June 2016

Badab War - Astral Claws - 40k


My interest in 40k was a direct result of the Badab War. The article by Belloflostsouls was fantastic and I wanted, as many people probably do, to paint up a model in each of the faction colour schemes.

This then directly resulted in my love for the Minotaurs, which I have been collecting as my main army ever since. My desire to paint all these different legions pretty much was put to the side as I collected and painted up my Minotaurs.

Well no more, here is the next model Astral Claws after my Minotaurs and the Marines Errant efforts.

I primed the model in black followed by a good coat of Leadbelcher.

Then I covered the model with a 60/40 brown black wash and drybrushed with Leadbelcher once dry. Painted in the base colours for the pouches and shoulder pad.

Then highlighted the armour with Runefang Steel, the shoulder pad with Shining Gold and finished off the other details like the eye lenses and scrolls.

Pretty easy scheme but very effective. It is one of my favourites.


Sunday, 19 June 2016

Dapol Railway Buildings - 1/72 Scale - Finished

So here they are,the completed Dapol buildings.

I finished the models off with a drybrush and then some highlights and they came out really nicely.



Sunday, 12 June 2016

Dapol Railway Buildings - 1/72 Scale - WIP

I found this interesting kit in the railway section of models and thought I would try them out as terrain for my 1/72 scale WW2 games.

They are quite cheap and easy to put together, so bonus all around.

I primed them with Army Painter green then base coated them with various browns for the siding, green for the door and window trim and grey for the roofing.


 Next a heavy wash of a mix 60/40 brown /black.

Next to drybrush and clean up.

 Stay tuned,