Sunday 10 February 2013

Basing with Ground Black Pepper and Weathering Pigment


I came across an article on this a little while ago and wanted to give it a try. I mean black pepper! the stuff you put on your food as a basing material. As it turns out it works pretty well. I have been wanting to get a nice method for a red blasted volcanic type planet surface and I think this might work out.

I started the base gluing some larger pieces on to represent bigger stones.



Next cover the base with white glue or PVA glue and grind away with the pepper mill.


Paint it the chosen colour.


Add the pigment and  remove excess, apply spirit to hold or set pigment in place and finish paint job.


For those eagle eyed readers that noticed the finished base is not the same as the one with the stones on that is because I had to redo it. The first attempt I applied the pigment directly to the pepper and then the spirits which promptly melted the white glue, so don't do that! paint it first.

Let me know what you think with a comment below.

Cheers

Vitor


4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, its really easy and works pretty well.

      Delete
  2. You know, that actually looks pretty damn good! And here I thought the only useful thing in the kitchen was salt for the old salt and hair-spray trick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have also discovered the herb section, stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete