Thursday 29 August 2019

Rangers of Shadow Deep - Terrain - Cottage - WIP

After a long struggle I have managed to get some free time and hobby motivation together and have started on my long promised cottage build for Rangers of Shadow Deep or any Fantasy type game, you could probably even use it in a modern setting as well.

I am building the cottage out of foam board and this is my first time using these materials. I peeled off the paper and then cut out the floor, walls and roof pieces, then I used a pencil to draw the wooden planks, windows and doors onto the various pieces.


I then painted the pieces black, I did not use spray primer as I didn't want to melt the foam.


I then painted the inside of pieces with Rhinox Hide and drybrushed afterwards with layers of Bestial Brown, Mournfang Brown and then Balor Brown waiting for each layer to dry before applying the next. I then washed the pieces with a dark brown wash. Next I paintedt the window frames and front door in Dark Angels Green followed by a drybrush of Knarloc Green.The glass window panes were painted with Mordian Blue and a highlight of Ultramarines Blue in the corners.


When I looked at the now dry pieces I noticed that the wash was not working the way I anticipated, I used a Valejo Oiled Earth wash which is for vehicles but I thought it would be good for the interior for that smoke darkened look but alas it was not, it was too light and so I applied another wash of 50/50 black/brown wash from GW and that worked although the pieces are now a bit darker than I wanted.



Stay tuned to see how the pieces fit together in the next post.

Vitor





2 comments:

  1. Looks good for a scratch build ... it will be interesting to see how it all comes together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments, as always much appreciated.

      Delete