Friday 22 March 2013

Minotaurs - Terminators with Lightning Claws - Badab War - WIP


With all the excitement of the Horus Heresy releases and me getting into the Flames of War Open Fire starter set I have neglected my personal 40k army, my beloved Minotaurs!

These Terminators have been languishing in my 'to do box' for well over a year now, cant believe its been that long! As you can see they are the models from the Assault on Black Reach box set with the arms chopped off and converted to Lightning Claws from an Ebay purchase. The finishing touch is the addition of the brilliant Forge World Minotaur shoulder pads.

To start I primed the models in black then painted a thinned down coat of black paint to get a nice overall finish. My base coat was Tin Bitz ( see top picture ).

Next was a coat of Brazen Brass.

I washed the entire model with Coelia Green.

Then dry-brushed with Brazen Brass.

I painted the 'white' metal areas in black and the other details in Scorched Brown.


Now all I need to do is finish the details and they should be ready to join their battle brothers.

Vitor

6 comments:

  1. I love the way you paint your Minotaurs. It worked great on the Landraider and transfers quite well to the troops as well. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, appreciate all your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The color rocks, that's a fine job! The color are very close to the Imperial Armor ones, more brown than gold.

    I tried to follow your method: base coat of warplock bronze (=tin bitz), dry brush of brassy brass (=brazen brass), global wash of coelia greenshade, dry brush again with brassy brass. But the results is always disappointing! It turns out to be too shiny, too close to the brassy brass (which for me is more copper than bronze). How do you apply your first coat of brassy brass? Do you dry brush it or do you apply it thinned with water?

    Thanks for your advice!

    Clement

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the question, I apply the Brazen Brass as a dry brush with very little paint, if the result is too shiny then apply a watered down wash of coelia greenshade a second time and dry brush again if required. Hope this gives you the results you are looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Vitor, I just followed your advice and the result looks better indeed.

    Keep on publishing your work, it is very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete