Tuesday 4 October 2011

Aurelius Legion Tactical Marine Weathering Test - Part Two



Ron at From The Warp was kind enough to take time out of his busy schedule to give me some ideas on improving the shading on my Marines, see his post here http://fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/09/hobby-focus-pushing-shadows-to-define.html

Well I took his advice and  tried to achieve the look he showed in the picture above.




I used a mix of around 90% scorched brown and 10% chaos black for the shading.


This is not the same model as the original post but a second test I did to see if the weathering effect was going to look good over a series of models.

Another comment that made sense was from Mondel 'GAR' Garcia from the Dread Pirate Garness, that the eyes on the previous model was not up to scratch and detracted from the overall quality of the painting. I must admit that I seem to struggle to get a good paint job on the eyes for some reason???

Let me know what you guys think, is it better or not?

Vitor

5 comments:

  1. Yup, I reckon it definitely looks better with the shading in place.

    If I can give some advice on the eyes, try doing them first, right after you've undercoated the model. It's waaaaay easier. All you need to do is add some brighter red in the inside corner, then a tiny white dot on the outside corner. It doesn't matter if it's sloppy, because you can tidy it up as you paint the rest of the helmet. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yup definately makes a difference.

    I find eyes a nightmare, and echo the comments above about trying to do them first, so you can tidy around them when you're doing the helmet rims.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good stuff! Love the new shading, really makes the model pop.

    I also do the eyes pretty early on in the process. I'll do the base color on the helmet, then go in to do the eyes. Any slop-over is cleaned up when I do the next highlighting step on the helmets.

    Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice job on the weathering. I'm a big fan of weathering myself! I added you to my blog list. If you added mine I would be much obliged (rustandthecity.blogspot.com).

    ReplyDelete
  5. This guy looks great, he really looks like he's been through hell and back. As far as eyes go I like to paint them last but I usually paint them gray and highlight them in white, then I apply a couple of coats of wash of the color I want them to be, IE blue or red, it works for bold colors like that.

    ReplyDelete