Sunday 7 February 2016

Betrayal at Calth - Sons of Horus - Pre Heresy - WIP

The Betrayal at Calth box set is still providing difficult decisions for me with respect to which legion to go with. The options I explored in a previous post were Sons of Horus, Night Lords and Alpha Legion as a long shot, I am no closer than I was then.

Looking through my bits box I noticed that I had a couple of Forge World Sons of Horus shoulder pads so I decided to paint up a test model using one of the shoulder pads and combining that to paint the exact replica of the image of a Sons of Horus Lieutenant from the Horus Heresy Books to use for inspiration.


Once I had made this decision I ordered Lupercal Green and Sons of Horus Green from Forge World. I also made a greenstuff mold of the Old Captain Sicarius models helmet crest.

I base coated the model black and painted a base layer of Lupercal Green, as this is a paint designed for airbrushing it is nice and thin but your may need two coats to get the coverage you want.




Next was a layer of Sons of Horus Green and here I had to apply two coats to get a nice finish.


Next was to start painting the details.







Two interesting details I wanted to add to the model was the Cthonian 'mirror coin' tokens the Sons of Horus used to count honour in battles and the skulls which were gilded.

I couldn't find anything suitable to represent the tokens and if you have any ideas please let me know. The skull I used is the one with the bullet hole through the forehead from the terminators sprue (I think)which should be glued onto the base, I threaded some string through the bullet hole and attached it under the holster, perfect.

I just need to finish the details so stay tuned.


Vitor

1 comment:

  1. That looks fantastic, man! Really dig how that turned out.

    ReplyDelete