Thursday 17 January 2013

Flames of War - External Machine Gun Position


Some more musings on WW2 stuff, this time about the positioning of the Machine Gun on the Sherman Turret.

The FOW assembly guide says put it on the hatch which I did. Then when it got to the Commander's Tank I glued the Tank Commander model into the hatch and then realized the Machine Gun wasn't going to work in there as well. This got me thinking about the position of the Machine Gun and how was it possible to fire the thing from the hatch? I also had a memory of a dude standing on the engine compartment behind the Turret firing the Gun from a different mounting position.

I did some investigating and found two references to back up both options.

In the picture below you can see just how awkward it is to fire the Machine Gun from the Hatch.





 In this example you can see the soldier firing from the standing position behind the Turret.




So mount them in either position and you should be good to go.

Not sure what piece of useless information I will be thinking of next but stay tuned.

Vitor.

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting. That would be a bit of a scary job being up there and firing the MG. Pretty exposed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't want to be doing either myself!

      Delete