Saturday 20 April 2013

Flames of War - Stug - Finished

I set about painting the camouflage as per the Open Fire video guide on the Official website.

The base brown camouflage was a 50/50 mix of Middlestone and Chocolate Brown and a 70/30 Chocolate Brown and Middlestone mix for the center part of the camouflage. The green was a 50/50 mix of Reflective Green and Middlestone as a base then a 70/30 mix of Reflective Green and Middlestone for the center of the camouflage.






The trick is to 'feather' the edges of the camouflage to help the next step of blending the camouflage into the tank with a drybrush of Middlestone, followed by another drybrush of Middlestone and Bone or Ivory.


The last step was to paint the details of the stowage and tools.


On a personal note, the model is covered with about 8 layers of paint due to my rookie mistake with the black prime and basecoat followed by the Middlestone layers not covering it enough. Secondly the drybrush finish is not the best I've ever achieved on a model again due to lack of coverage of the paint mix.

Anyhow here are the rest of the pictures for your enjoyment.





Vitor

5 comments:

  1. Ah, the Stug.
    Up until Blood, Guts and Glory released, these were my favorite German tracked vehicles.
    Then B, G & G released, and they were reduced to nothing but targets. The main cannon bounces right off a Jumbo Sherman, and 76mm Shermans leaves them hoping to make a 6up save when hit from the front.
    In other words, they became more or less useless. Such a shame.
    I stopped playing FoW shortly after that. I stuck around a bit, but Devil's Charge pretty much assured that any list without a bunch of Panthers in it was not going to survive, never mind actually 'win.'
    Once Nuts! came out, I was done.
    Allies can spread out their High AT tanks throughout several platoons, using Jumbos or even regular Shermans to suck up hits so the AT 12+ tanks remain operable, while the Axis has to buy Panthers by the platoon, and all it takes is a little smoke getting dropped to render them unable to perform.
    Since I'm not a fan of the Panther tank (I find them to be overcosted for what they end ip doing, which is usually sitting in a cloud of smoke until artillery or planes smash them), and I was stuck with about 40 Stugs and Panzer IV's that I purchased when Grey Wolf released that were rendered pointless, I put my FoW stuff away.
    Maybe I'll return one day, to play mid-war, cuz German Panzer IV's and Stugs cannot compete with Allied Armor in Late War in any book that falls after Normandy...basically Blood, Guts and Glory and later books make FoW games very unbalanced.
    Sure, it's 'historically accurate,' but it makes the game really unfun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ummmm...sorry for the rant...I skipped my 'anti-rant' meds today.
      ;)

      Delete
    2. No worries, thanks for the take on the game as I have yet to play a game myself.

      Delete
  2. The StuGs look great, Vitor!

    While there is definitely a big tournament scene for FoW, I think that for the very reasons that SinSynn complains, it is more fun to play friendly games, so you don't have such unbalanced situations--or rather, if you do, it's intentional.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great sfuff in your blog... I added you to my blogroll :)

    ReplyDelete