Monday 23 April 2012

Terrain Focus - 40k Tank Traps - On the Workbench




This post is the second in the series 'Terrain Focus' which concentrates on how to make inexpensive, good looking terrain and having some fun while doing so. In the pictures above you can see some real life examples of WW2 Tank Traps and you will notice that they are different shapes and sizes. This is perfect for us as we cant really go wrong with what we do.

First up lets start with our base, as in the previous post I use what we call here hard board, its about 5mm thick. Cut out the shape you want and sketch out the design.


In this piece I am only showing you half as its part of a bigger project. The next step is to cut out your chosen Tank Trap design from foam board. The sizes and shapes can vary as in the real life stuff but I used my Land Raider as a reference for the height I wanted. I also roughed them up a bit to simulate battle damage, just cut out some holes and scratches etc.


The next step is to glue the Traps in place, I used a hot glue gun but you can use PVA glue but not superglue as it will eat away the foam. Once glued in place build up the ground with quick drying polyfiller (the stuff I use starts hardening within 15 min).


Once you have the texture you want you can add some details like cork or bark, as I have here, maybe some off cuts of the foam board for rubble. Basically anything you want to flesh out the ground depending on your game board theme.






Leave overnight to dry and in the next post I will get ready to paint this up.

Vitor




No comments:

Post a Comment